Yemen, the world’s forgotten war-torn country, has been hit by another tragedy, this time with more than 40 school children who are the new victims of Saudi Arabia and its allies.
In Thursday’s air raid in the northern Majz District, the Saudi-led coalition backed by the US, bombarded a school bus carrying students, between the ages of 8 and 14, killing 51 of them, injuring 79. It the worst attack on children since the war escalated in 2015, according to UNICEF.
“Body parts were scattered all over the area, and the sounds of moaning and crying were everywhere,” Hassan Muwlef, executive director of the Red Crescent office in Saada told the Washington Post, “The school bus was totally burned and destroyed.”
However, the US turns a blind eye to this war crime of Saudis, just as it did for three years of bloody war in one of the region’s poorest countries.
Between January 2016 and July 2018, more than 50,000 Yemenis have been killed, more than 2 million been displaced, many thousands been homeless and millions at the risk of starvation in one of the worst famine in decades.
Instead of facing the disastrous situation they created, Saudi Arabia and the alliances have always justified themselves and put blame on Yemeni Forces.
Last year, the United Nations placed Saudi Arabia on a blacklist of child rights violators for killing and injuring more than 1,000 Yemeni children and intentionally targeting dozens of schools and hospitals in the country, causing unbearable suffering for residents.
More than 17 million Yemenis have been estimated by the UN as “food insecure” and this is the daily tragedy of citizens.
US Congressman Ro Khanna once said that they are aiding Saudi Arabia in “Saudi Arabia’s committing war crimes,” in Yemen.
The United Kingdom also vowed not to back a proposed UN investigation on September 2017, into possible war crimes of Saudis in Yemen, since the House of Saud threatened to halt its trade with all nations who back the Human Rights Watch.
Although members of the Saudi-coalition include the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan, Sudan, Qatar and Egypt, the US and UK play the main roles by providing weapons, fuels and targeting training to the coalition’s soldiers. Saudi Arabia is the largest buyer of US-made weapons.
On March 2018, the US State Department approved arms sale to Saudi Arabia worth more than $1bn, informing Congress of the sale the same week that Saudi’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman visited Washington.
Yemen civilians are paying a heavy price and Riyadh and its allies can’t deny their involvement in these indiscriminate airstrikes, as UN reported that Saudi Arabia targets residents in a “widespread and systemic manner.”
While more than 2.2 million Yemeni children were malnourished and 3,85,000 of them suffered from severe malnutrition and required treatment to survive, Saudi’s warship banned dozens of aiding ships carrying vital food and supplies to Yemen for 30 months by blocking the country’s ports on the Red Sea.
“Trump Administration says we need to be in Saudi bombing coalition to limit Yemeni civilian casualties. But THE EXACT OPPOSITE IS HAPPENING. UN says 1/3 of all strikes are hitting civilians. ONE THIRD. You don’t do that by accident.” US Senator Chris Murphy tweeted Thursday.
“U.S. bombs. U.S. targeting. U.S. mid-air support. And we just bombed a SCHOOL BUS. The Saudi/UAE/U.S. bombing campaign is getting more reckless, killing more civilians, and strengthening terrorists inside Yemen. We need to end this – NOW.” He wrote in another tweet.
The true faces of human right violators also unveil in a tweet of US Senator Bernie Sanders who believes: “By backing the Saudi coalition’s war in Yemen with weapons, aerial refueling, and targeting assistance, the United States is complicit in this atrocity. No one can seriously claim that our support for this war is actually making us safer.”